HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Luxspotting's Future

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 am

it has been 5 days since the last post was made to this forum. What's going on, where is everyone? Although we broke the all time visitors record recently (Most users ever online was 96 on Sat 15 Mar 2014 - 19:16) almost no pictures, movements, etc are posted. I know a lot goes via Facebook at the moment (the great Plane Spotters Luxembourg page is a huge succes!) and many people post their pics there.

One of the big advantages of Facebook is that you can just post your pics in stead of having to upload them to a picture hosting site and link them in a post.

This all raises the question with me, what to do with Luxspotting.eu (the website, where I did not make any updates for months due to lack of time and lack of input) and the forum? What can we do to get it back alive, what needs to be changed? Or do we just leave it and move on to Facebook?

After all the forum and website have been online, paid and maintained for 6 years by me. Not sure if I want to go on all alone or -if we keep it alive- will get/need assistance.

Please let me know your opinions on this matter.

Admin
Back to top Go down
http://www.luxspotting.eu
gk

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Well, I didn't know about the new Facebook page. For my part, I prefer to read the forum as I am not a fan of Facebook, but maybe this is just a question of age.

Guy

Back to top Go down
fwa

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:42 pm

I concur with gk. I also was wondering where the photos are, especially as we had quite a few interesting logojets recently.
Back to top Go down
Eric3620

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:20 pm

I second that, in fact, I only joined Facebook, with a pseudo account, just to get information I cannot have/find elsewhere. For not posting anything though, well I'd love to, but due to a lack of time........ well, you know.  Embarassed

Eric
Back to top Go down
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:28 pm

All day 3 replies !!! No

I also do not support Facebook, but that is not the issue of does Admin keep the forum running?
I think we have two major problems.

1:- On the home page we only have the most recent posting so if an interesting posting is made and then followed by another less interesting posting the  fist posting is then some what "lost" . I think if we could have the last 5 topics posted and not comments ( these would go into the posting), a more varied selection would be available without going into other sections to see what is happening.

2:-There seems to be a lot of members that just do not post information or pictures in their possession " greedy" but use the forum just to gain information.
Maybe if they had to "work" for that information by posting they would be more inclined to help out.

I could go on and on but this is a very good forum and it would be a shame to loose it.

Sorry Admin for maybe more work.

Regards
Jack
Back to top Go down
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:06 pm

As I was saying it just happened.
Regards
Jack
Back to top Go down
Eric3620

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 pm

I for one would love to share any information about movements or special flights in and out of LUX, but I don't have them. That's why I clearly rely on the forum and/or the internet. Luckily we have Peter who keeps us up to date :thumbs up:

I wouldn't call anyone greedy if they just signed up to read or to be part of the community without contributing, it's just not the purpose of a forum. Don't get me wrong Jack, I do acknowledge your point. I just have another, let's say, subtle view on this subject.

From the admin's point of view we also have to acknowledge that running a forum with little activity ain't a fun thing to do and clearly ain't economic as well considering the time and money put into. So by all means if there's no improvement and from an economic point of view, a shutdown would be the best, but that's not, I repeat, not what I would like to happen.

Quote :
"As I was saying it just happened"

Could you be more clear on that? I don't get it scratch Wink
Back to top Go down
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 pm

If you would read my post you would see that posting are updated to the newest post so previous ones on no longer displayed on the home page, so unless you are following a certain post you will not know about any updates.
Regards Jack
Back to top Go down
an12

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I acknowledge the fact that lately there were little pictures posted. Maybe one reason is that people find it not very encouraging when they post pics and there is literally not comment but many views.
The idea of a forum should be an exchange.

With disappointment I have learnt last week that a lot of info is spread on Facebook. I do not have facebook and will not have it. This is no fun but I understand that people want to share it on facebook since certain candidates are spending their lives on it.
Maybe a smartphone app would be an idea to make the forum more accessible for every one and the news would be spread easily?

Having said this, I would take the opportunity to thank the admin for all his work in the last years. Now if there should be a need for a financial support, i think we could all do a little contribution

All
Back to top Go down
afterburner

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:45 pm

The problem is that many members are not active at all, post and share pictures or write a comment does not require much time. I notice that this is also the case in other forums. Thank you Peter for the great job you do !

Last edited by afterburner on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
UNIFORMINDIA

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:37 am

but this is a very good forum and it would be a shame to loose it. wrote:

i hope a long life for this forum!
UI
Back to top Go down
Mike

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello,

I know I am not one of the very active members currently but it would be sad to lose such a great forum. I know how it feels when you try to keep something up and you don't get much input. But it would be a shame to lose the forum to Facebook of which I am absolutely no fan anymore. It simply kills off the classic internet.

Maybe this lack of activity is just a phase. Spotting was quite a hype during the last years here in Luxemburg. It will come back Very Happy On the other side, Luxemourg airport has not that many movements. It's difficult to post regurlarly photos here without showing Luxair, Cargolux and some BizJets.

Personnaly I don't have any contacts in aviation that would help me getting information about movements, meaning I am not able to contribute to the "expected" section. I think a lot of people are in the same situation and simply cannot post any information.

I just hope that Peter will keep this forum going and thank you for all the work during the last years.

Regards,
Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.aviation-photography.lu
chrislux

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:22 pm

I agree to most of the previous comments. Even if I am a frequent user of Facebook, I prefer the forum by far over any type of social networks.
Back to top Go down
serbra

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi guys,
thank's a lot to Peter for his work and engagment here on luxspotting.eu during the last years.
I hope LUXSPOTTING.EU will continue for many years and I just hope that all members will share AVIATION-news and pictures as much as possible...!
PS: I'm NOT a member of Facebook and I certainly will NEVER be a member of it.
Ciao
SERGE Wink 
Back to top Go down
Donaldson

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Like some other users here, I'm not a member of facebook either. I would like to express my thanks to Peter for his good work around this forum, and I hope that he will be willing and able to keep this excellent place for information sharing alive.

Having said this, like others here I unfortunately might have the same problem in contributing up to date info, as usually some other members have better sources or simply are quicker - but I'll always try to do my best...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luxspotting's Future   

Back to top Go down

Luxspotting's Future
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1